Friday, May 25, 2007

Fabulous Washington Hostesses:
Susan Mary Alsop

Random trait: “Bores” were simply not allowed to come to a fabled Alsop dinner, Kennedys preferred.

Buy: Anything from Victoria and Richard; A donation to Save the Terrapin to make up for her turtle soup fetish.

Read: To Marietta from Paris: 1945-1960 by Susan Mary Alsop; Sister: The Life of Legendary American Interior Decorator Mrs. Henry Parish II by Apple Parish Bartlett.

Do: Marry a gay gossip writer (not a bad second marriage, methinks) yet don’t gossip; Get loaners from John Galliano* ; Serve simple but good fare when entertaining; Be known by your first and middle names ALWAYS; Have sapphire blue blood.

*But please, please don’t involve me. The last time I was involved with a loaner it was a $7k fringed Lanvin dress/work of art I put on a model—who, unbeknownst to me, had horrid b.o. I spent about half of my 10th anniversary bent over that damn dress with baby wipes and a hairdryer. So not cool.

1 comment:

fashiongirl said...

BabsieD - I was at the French Jewelry exhibit at the Legion of Honor here is SF today. Totally gorgeous, ginormous diamonds, emeralds and sapphires. Made me think of all of your doyenne posts. Keep 'em coming!