Sunday, November 26, 2006

End of an Era (or at least of Thanksgiving Weekend)

Went to the christening of my friend's son in Georgetown today--what a perfect day to be out and about. It was held at Holy Trinity, and, due to the fact that I'm a directional idiot, I thought it was at the wrong church (Christ Church) on the other side of Wisconsin. We figured out the error of our ways, booked down O Street, and flew into the church just as our little baby was being christened, and it was the tears-in-the-eyes-lump-in-the-throat kind of moving that only happens when you go to church like once a year.

My friend L, perhaps the nicest person I have ever met, adopted two sweet as a button babes from Korea. Just as the second one (he of the christening) was arriving, she found out she was pregnant. With twins. So whenever I'm really stressed, my mind goes to her and all of a sudden my life doesn't seem hectic at all. She's due in March (well, April, but it is twins) and she looks just beautiful.

Afterward, my BFF and I headed down the Exorcist stairs (never been!), up M and over to Kafe Leopold's for a drink--same great food, same crapola service. I just don't quite get that. But it was lovely sitting at our little table, devising our next career moves, our next life moves, and better still, my birthday dinner. Cannot wait for that.

Then we headed back for the post-christening party, where my 2 year old managed to scope out the beautiful 16-year old girl in the crowd and proceeded to flirt with her for the rest of the evening. His pops was rather proud. I just saw the future--my son at sixteen himself, maybe getting his heart broken, definitely not needing his mommy, and well, certainly not showing his adoration for the women in the room by singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, only to interrupt himself by announcing loudly "I'm PEEEEEING."

2 comments:

NotCarrie said...

Glad you made it to the Exorcist stairs:)

Erin McCahill said...

I love you.
e